I got a computer (no hard drives) from Wil that I tried to power up to
see what CPU & RAM it had but it's not sending any signal to the
monitor. No POST, but the fan comes on & LEDs light. It has a wacky
solenoid and switch that I assume is to not allow you to work on it
with the case open or not allow you open the case while the power is
on or maybe it's a security feature to prevent tampering. Anyway it's
a Compaq and the case is a little rough to work in. I think it's a
P166, which is a bit slow even for a distro server. It has three DIMM
sticks, one of unknown size, one 64 Mb, one 32 Mb.  It currently has a
brand new 52x CD-RW in the case.

I have a 2Gig SCSI disk, and some external SCSI cases that have
needed a good home for a while.

I suspect that our best bet for getting a lot of disk space
is to use SCSI. With SCSI we can more disks, even if they are small
and if need be I think we can use multiple SCSI controllers.

If we have parts for one or two machines that would be great but
three is probably overkill.

I was going to put this in the software thread but it's pretty closely
related to hardware. Is this a good use for LVM? Since we will
probably have various sized disks and the data on the disks can fairly
easily be re-created from the net? I'm thinking that the OS and all
the mechanism for doing the mirroring etc. would be on one disk that's
*not* part of the logical volume but all the distros *would* be on the
LV. I know almost nothing about the LVM so please tell me if this is
not a good application of it.

--
Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff
rick at eworld3.net