IMHO we should start with about 5 - 10 distros. The main general
purpose ones and also some for old/slow machines since there are
always several people who come to installfests with old machines. I'll
stick my neck out and suggest these as a start:

general purpose:
Red Hat
SuSE
Mandrake
Debian

light weight:
Damn Small Linux
Morphix

The distro server needs to be set up to:

1. periodically retrieve the latest ISO images, mirrors,
updates, whatever for the distros.

2. run without a monitor, keyboard, mouse. It has to boot and
be ready to telnet in to.

3. be fairly secure. User's only need read access and be
able to use the CD drive(s).

4. do DNS for the fest. At least I think this would be a good idea.

What OS should be running on the distro server? I'm tempted to
say XP but that would not even be funny. Ironic maybe but not funny.

--
Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff
rick at eworld3.net
952-929-1659