Sam MacDonald writes:
> Why does that sound like scavenging.  I would venture to guess that
> who  ever owns the subnet is out looking for free addresses so they
> can be reallocated.

The cable company owns the subnet and they already know which ones are
allocated.  The router doesn't know and has to ask.  If they were smart and
had the right equipment, they would have static ARP tables, since they
already know the MAC addresses.  ARP is a liability in that type of setup.

> Now if we really wanted to have some fun we would start a conspiracy
> theory about it  ;-)
>     The CIA is looking for unused IP addresses so they know what IP
> addresses are in use.

Or some kid with nmap...

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>