Why does that sound like scavenging.  I would venture to guess that who
ever owns the subnet is out looking for free addresses so they can be
reallocated.

Now if we really wanted to have some fun we would start a conspiracy
theory about it  ;-)
    The CIA is looking for unused IP addresses so they know what IP
addresses are in use.

Sam.