On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 15:46, Johnny Fulcrum wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:21:41 -0500, Harry Penner <hpenner at cbca.com> wrote:
>
> > Well...  it won't solve the problem of not really knowing how the
> > hostname is set but changing the DNS entry -- forward and reverse -- to
> > the desired hostname seems like it might work if you uncomment the
> > 'NEEDHOSTNAME=yes' line again.
> >
> > Might want to check /etc/hosts too, if you haven't already.
> >
> > Sorry, not really a mandrake guy.  :-/
> >

> No problem ...  I'm having fun not working :)
>
> I just installed webmin..  it seemd to change it a bit more:
> [meierjo at userimage meierjo]$ host 10.1.103.74
> 74.103.1.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer msppc1210.retek.int.
> 74.103.1.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer userimage.retek.int.
> 74.103.1.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer tools_linux2.retek.int.
> [meierjo at userimage meierjo]$

You should take out the reverse DNS entries for the old host names, I
would think?  In the (increasingly unlikely) event that it's using
reverse DNS to look up its hostname, you don't want it to have a choice.

Also, something I just thought of: possibly it's getting its hostname
from DHCP?  Check your DHCP server config in case it's getting a static
address assignment complete with hostname.  (That's /etc/dhcpd.conf on
my DHCP server, FWIW).

-hp3