Well...  it won't solve the problem of not really knowing how the
hostname is set but changing the DNS entry -- forward and reverse -- to
the desired hostname seems like it might work if you uncomment the
'NEEDHOSTNAME=yes' line again.

Might want to check /etc/hosts too, if you haven't already.

Sorry, not really a mandrake guy.  :-/

-hp3