FWIW, if you have USB device(s) plugged in, try unplugging them. I've
seen boxes fail to boot for no other reason than there was a USB hard
drive plugged in.

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 11:34, Chris Frederick wrote:

FYI:

Just wanted to add something to this debug checklist.  Download a copy
of MemTest-86, load it on a floppy and let it perform all it's tests
overnight.  (see the readme that comes with it to make sure it runs ALL
tests, and not just defaults)  This just takes the Memory out of the
list of possible issues.  This also checks the cpu to an extent, but a
good heavy load test would be much more accurate for that.

I've had a few Athlon XPs not work with the DDR at full clock, so I had
to run the CPU on 1Ghz rather than 1.33Ghz.  Something about AMDs and
DDR, ocasionally get errors reading the ram.  And having bad sectors in
RAM can lead to really funny errors, and crashes.

Chris Frederick