K B writes:
> Can I use the Linux based side of the WRT54G and add some routing
> capabilities?  I will have 4 switches plugged into the 4 LAN ports,
> with the Internet port going to the building network.  I need to be
> able to filter/route IP and IPX traffic between the four LAN ports.
> Is it possible?  Either with the built-in software, or else with some
> add-on Linux based programs?

You need to be more specific than "filter/route".  More than likely, the
four switch ports on the WRT54G are merely switch ports.  It would be the
same as if you plugged everything into a single large switch.  Obviously,
this won't provide you with any way to filter between ports, but you won't
be able to do that anyway without some very expensive equipment.

If you need more filtering than standard NAT provides between the computers
and the rest of the network, then you will probably want to build a custom
router running Linux or BSD.  If you need bandwidth management, I would look
at FreeBSD, as dummynet is far easier to setup than anything I've seen for
Linux.  tc is horribly complicated.

> If so, is anyone availible who I could get together with and have some
help in getting
> it working the first time?

Feel free to email me if you need help.

--