Hello all,

I want to use mcrypt with php.  I am able to compile and install mcrypt.  I
read in a PDF by rasmus that one can compile php with-mcrypt and get a
mcrypt.so that one can include at the top of a php page:

dl('mcrypt.so');

and then I'll have access to the php's built-in mcrypt functions.  I am
trying to figure out how to get the mcrypt.so file.

If I have to, I can make system calls to the mcrypt binary directly from
php, but I am trying to avoid that at all costs.

I also want to avoid screwing up our live server's php.  I do not know a ton
about how the ./configure/make/make install systems works.

How can I just compile php so that I can get my hands on the mcrypt.so?  Do
I just ./configure --with-mcrypt and then make but not make install?  Where
will the .so files be at that point?

Any help is appreciated.

TOm