Raymond Norton writes:
> I need to reset my root password for mysql. I am trying to use
> the --skip-grant-tables command when starting the service, but it is
> ignoring the command. What syntax should I be using? Maybe I am
> trying to start it from the wrong location??

You are probably trying to pass it to the init script.  You need to run the
MySQL server binary directly.  Look in the init script to find the full path
and command.  On Debian, you would do this:

/usr/bin/mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables --skip-networking &
mysqladmin -u root password 'newpassword'
mysqladmin shutdown

Note the skip-networking option.  Without this, anyone could connect to the
MySQL server while you are resetting the password.  You will want to take
other precautions if you have any untrusted local users.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/