Simple solution, PAY CASH!  I also have a few comments for the multitude
that replied to the original message...

1. If tipping, due to social construct or whatever, is considered
mandatory then put it on the receipt (as is commonly done with large
groups).  If you are not charged for it then it truly is optional.  Just
because _you_ tip well doesn't mean the next guy has to.

2. Servers are not slaves, they ALWAYS have the option to quit.

3. Server's in MN make at least minimum wage or better (in a lot of
cases better), we are not a "tip credit" state where the employer can
reduce salaries due to expected tip income.

4. Not everyone who refuses to tip is just a cheap person.  Would you
still call them cheap if they truly disliked the service?  There have
been times when I've left a penny because the server was a complete
failure and I wanted to send a message, I've also written notes on the
receipt telling them just how badly they served me.  Some people object
to tipping for the server's own good.  Some less respectable businesses
in states other than our own (see number three) will abuse the tip
credit and use the server as a very cheap janitor/maintanance
tech/anything.  If we didn't have tipping (and thus "tip credit" laws)
this wouldn't be the case.

5. Corporation bashing is getting really old, learn a new tune.
Corporations are not evil monsters that do of their own volition, they
are people just like you and me.  A corporation is a group a
stockholders able to vote in leadership who in turn controls the
direction of the business.  If you are unhappy with a corporations
actions and are a stockholder, vote.  If you are a customer, go
elsewhere for goods and services.  If you are an employee, quit (see
number two).  Corporations are not omnipotent entities, get over it.

If you've gone to the bar with a large group of people more than a
couple times you realize that there will always be someone who doesn't
leave enough.  Whether it be alcohol dulling the mathematics ability of
the person in question or simply forgetting to add tax (I've seen that
happen many times by people I know well and trust, it just slips the
mind) or a deliberate attempt to avoid paying, IT HAPPENS!  I learned
long ago not to get involved with large tabs, if your wait staff won't
go cash or separate checks then take your business elsewhere but if you
get involved with a tab and someone leaves you high and dry I don't have
much sympathy for you.

Move on,
Ben.