That works, but I may have found a better way:
http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/doc/socat.html#OPTION_PATH

Has anyone used Socat before?  I'm playing with it now.  I've made /dev/tty
devices which are just fifos (using mkfifo).  Using the EXEC option in
socat, I *should* be able to make it do what I want.  If anyone has any
suggestions, let me know.

Thanks.

-jay