I've finally got ALSA to work with Gnome/Debian/unstable but I am no longer
getting sound when running something like SolarWolf.

SolarWolf was working before the upgrade, so I am thinking that it is
pointing to the old configuration /dev and not the new ALSA ones.  Is there
some type of symbolic link I can create?

I went through the ALSA how-to and my /dev/snd seems to have a little
different structure.  /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p and /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c are available
on my system and the how-to shows symbolic links like:
/dev/audio --> /dev/snd/pcmC0D0

Thanks,

Jeff Rasmussen