On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 06:18:47PM -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:

> Is there a way to make those /dev/ttyGXXX devices spawn a network connection
> to that particular port?  Can I rip out the module for that device and
> create identical devices to emulate the modem and open a network connection?
> The app cannot be changed, so it needs to happen at the OS level.
>
> -jay

You would need to make the device the application tries to open a FIFO, then
write an application that listens on the fifo, emulates a modem (you only
need some basic emulation), then connects to the remote device and passes
data back and forth. Should be relatively easy as long as the application
isn't trying to do any sophisticated ioctl's (and checking the return values)