But no IRQ is allocated.
I'll boot with a DOS disk, (tools I know well)
***********
I didn't have COM1 under msd.exe
I sort of hate when one setting in a BIOS can effect another and I don't
think about it long enough.
I checked the power settings in BIOS serial was "Disabled" one would
think that would mean "don't turn the power off on the COM port"  I
"Enabled" it and restarted.
COM1 is now found by msd.exe
stty -F /dev/ttyS0 raw 1200
cat /dev/ttyS0 | od
    now returns
9 colums of 6 digits scrolling.  Moving the mouse does nothing.

dmesg | grep tty
	returns
ttyS00 at ox03f8 (irq = 4) is at 16450

Sam.