try Karl's trick on the other com ports as well (/dev/ttyS1,
/dev/ttyS2, etc...) I have an couple Gateway machines that the BIOS
does strange numbering of COM ports.  Instead of COM1 and COM2 they're
COM2 and COM3.  Especially with a laptop, who knows what the
manufacturer was thinking that day.

see what ports the kernel detects right after bootup:

	dmesg | grep tty

you should see something like:

	ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
	ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

I don't think that your debian install will do evil things like renumber
or hide com ports from you.