On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 08:51:03PM -0500, Shawn wrote:
>   Alright, I'm out of ideas.  I cannot get Linux to load on my desktop!  I'm sick of Windows, and want my Linux desktop back!!!!
>   I've tried RH9, Slack9, Mandrake 9.2.  All to no avail.  I can get it installed with no errors, warnings or messages.  Reboot, lilo comes up.  Select Linux, and it starts to load, then chokes almost right after the "loading linux" so I can't see what/where it exactly fails.  Screen goes blank, HDD spins a little and then nothing.  I have to do a hard reset or power it off to reboot.  At first I tried dual booting, Windows would come up okay.  Then I tried only Slack, and it chokes the same.

This sounds like a bootloader/bios/disk problem, the kernel is not
getting unpacked and started right.

Are you trying to boot a parition that is past 8G?
Not sure how big a problem that is these days, just heard it can be.
How is it partitioned?  Maybe look at harddrive options in the BIOS..

When you do an install, most distros allow you to make a bootdisk.
You should try one of these.  They include a kernel that could
work around any sort of early BIOS/disk problem like this.