jerry.sommerdorf at gwslinux.com madly scribbled on 09/19/2003 08:37 AM:

> I am thinking about getting my RHCE certification. I need to know if
> this would be a good cert to have. There doesn't seem to
> be a lot of need for this certification. What's your thought???
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry Sommerdorf

Jerry,

In order to get my MCSE/MCSA and CCNA, I went to a boot camp in Atlanta,
GA (I got all three in a 3.5-week blitz). From my own experience, those
certs did help me -- not necessarily to get hired at either my previous
job or my current one (although that is possible), but to learn skills
that I lacked, and fill in the gaps in my knowledge that I didn't even
know I had. From that perspective, it was well worth the time and money
to get the certs. The flip side is, if I had to do it over again, I
would probably have tried to find some less-expensive classes. For
myself, the boot camp was extremely helpful, simply because it got me
away from everyday life with its distractions, and put me in a place
where I pretty much had *nothing* better to do than study every night in
my hotel room.

But if you are highly motivated and disciplined, then you could just as
easily buy a few $50-60 books (or less for recently-used ones) and learn
the material on your own. What someone else said was true, about having
the server hardware to practice on -- but you could always pick up
something cheap on Ebay or elsewhere, use it for studying, and then sell
it again on Ebay when you are done. I know lots of CCNE's and CCNP's
have done exactly that when they were practicing for their Cisco certs.

--
Dave Sherman - MCSE, MCSA, CCNA

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
   for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.