I read that page when I was trying to find out what to do about pepper
eating dear in my garden.
I have a book by Jerry Baker "The Impatient Gardeners Lawn Book".  It
talks about lots of home made remedies for animals and bugs.
He suggested making a tea out of Chewing Tobacco, Urine, and Ammonia.
This is for plants your not going to eat obviously, the Chew has
nicotine that kills bugs, the urine keeps animals away and the ammonia
is a fertilizer.  I haven't used this so I don't know if it works.

Sam.