On Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003, at 11:08 US/Central, Rick Meyerhoff wrote:

> ...disk! Git yer mind outta th' gutter!
>
> I worked with a guy at the installfest who said that if we could get
> Linux installed on his Compaq laptop he'd donate two 20 Gb hard drives
> to the cause of creating an installfest distro server (mirrors, ISOs,
> etc. - this can be discussed in a separate thread). Well, as far as I
> know he got SuSE installed and the same technique should work for
> other major distros.
>
> I gave him my card but he has not contacted me yet so I'm hoping he is
> reading this and remembering and will now send me an email!

Rick, Scot Jenkins and I were speaking about this as well. I have a
complete PC that I'd be happy to "contribute" to the cause, its sole
purpose(s) would be

NAT, DHCP, NAMED
HTTP, FTP, NFS, SMB ( distro isos, and debian apt-get mirror etc etc)
We could put a cd burner in it etc. Its not a fast machine but it
wouldn't matter.

About the only things we'd mirror on it would be the main linux distros
(the ones most likely to be installed by new-comers to linux and don't
know how to or can't download themselves. (redhat, debian, slack,
recommendations?).  I believe this could be done with a single 120Gb
disk since we wouldn't keep much old stuff around.

I wouldn't mind doing this if the group can pool some funds together
for a disk and wouldn't mind if i kept it at my place for keeping it
updated etc.

Ben Lutgens       http://us-admins.com/~blutgens/
US Admins, Inc
System Administrator / Server Gumby