Hey all:

I've run into a problem reading some CD's that a friend made for me.
I'm trying to just copy the files from the CD to local disk, but I get:

 $ mount /cdrom
 $ ls /cdrom
 [long list snipped]
 $ cp /cdrom/* .
 cp: reading `/cdrom/318.DBF': Input/output error
 cp: reading `/cdrom/319.DBF': Input/output error
 cp: reading `/cdrom/320.DBF': Input/output error

etc., accompanied by kernel messages like:

 hdb: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
 hdb: command error: error=0x54

Note that the files are named 001.DBF, 002.DBF, etc., so the first 300
or so are copying without a hitch.

I've scanned the CDROM and CD-Writing HOWTOs, with no light shed.
Particularly annoying is the broken link in the CDROM HOWTO to some
"ISO-9660 Utilities" at ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/unixfreeware/archive/.
Googling for these utilities turns up... you guessed it, lots of links
to copied of the HOWTO.

Google does turn up some hits matching the error message, but all of
them seem to deal with mounting problems, and none where the first N
files copy OK, and the last few start generating errors.  Kernel docs
don't point to any obvious solution.

I am toying with the idea that since the CD was created on XP it may
have been built with some incompatabilities; perhaps I need to learn
more about UDF.

Another possibilty may be that this is a hardware issue--there's over
600MB on the CD, perhaps the last few files are unreadable my CD drive?
This ideas is supported by the fact that different CD drives conk out
at different files nesar the end of the disk.

If anyone has seen this before, I'd be grateful if you reply.  FYI,
this is happening on kernels 2.4.18 and 2.4.20, Debian woody and sid.

--
trammell at el-swifto.com  9EC7 BC6D E688 A184 9F58  FD4C 2C12 CC14 8ABA 36F5
Twin Cities Linux Users Group (TCLUG)      Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota