On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 12:03:36AM -0500, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> How do I change the following [motd] so I does not display again?

motd == Message of the Day

Here's an excerpt from the login(1) manpage:

    After a successful login, you will be informed of any sys-
    tem messages and the presence of mail.  You may  turn  off
    the  printing  of  the  system message file, /etc/motd, by
    creating a  zero-length  file  .hushlogin  in  your  login
    directory.   The mail message will be one of "You have new
    mail.", "You have mail.", or "No Mail." according  to  the
    condition of your mailbox.

So, to "shut off" motd display:

    shell$ touch ~/.hushlogin

--