On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:43:07AM -0500, Jima wrote:
> http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2003-May/056328.html
> http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2003-June/056807.html
> http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2003-July/057629.html
> http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2003-July/058134.html

In retrospect, I don't see anything overtly trollish about these other
than the repeating theme: software != djb :. software == sucks.  We've
come to expect it from David, because he has purchased djb stock
wholesale.  As such, I believe most of us have a very short fuse when it
comes to his posts.  Again, look at these posts as unbiased as possible.
They lack some substance and references, they add a few potshots now and
then, and they represent skepticism of Bazaar style software
engineering.  I can see why his posts rub people the wrong way.  One
"bad" comment labels him a troll.

You can expect to find at least one David-style poster in any email
list.  Someone you don't agree with, and someone who has a tendency to
stir up trouble from time to time.  However, if you look at the
resulting conversations, subsequent posts usually have some substance to
them from all participating.

> http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2003-August/058615.html
>  Chewie himself called him down for the last one:

In retrospect, I had a knee-jerk reaction to David posting anything as a
djb acolyte.  People have opinions, and I won't fault him for following
the lead of a somewhat elitist professor.  He's not likely to have a
vulnerable system because of it.  Some people demand the "best" and
others demand "good enough."  Many of the software projects out there
are "good enough" for most of us, and we're willing to make them better
in our free time.

David, I hope you're getting a kick out of this thread.

> http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2003-September/059530.html

Like we haven't seen "@SOFTWARE@ sucks" from you before Jima.  I know
I've said it.  Granted, I usually place a smiley face after or before
it, or some bastardization of an XML markup, but is that a requirement?
Again, don't attribute to malice what one can attribute to ignorance or
some vague form of humor.

>  *shrug*  Just wanted to back up my accusations.  If anyone thinks I'm
>  overreacting, feel free to flame me off-list.

I think a lot of us are over-reacting.  We've all heard the phrase,
"Don't feed the troll."  It means, don't complain about a troll by
posting another.  An accusation of a troll is just as trollish as the
original.  This thread is an example of an OFFTOPIC discussion that
doesn't really need to happen, all because someone reacted badly to a
post.

Edit your kill files and troll files people.  I had someone recently
reply to a post saying that all <so and so's> emails should be marked
troll.  In true procmail fashion, here you go:

  # positive score for known trolls. no score for MATCH recipe.
  # Mark threads with "^References:.*ORIGINMESSAGEID.HOST.TLD"
  :0 fhHw
  * -99^0
  * 100^1 troll at unterbridge.net
  *   0^0 ^Subject: \/.*