On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 08:35:53PM -0500, Sam MacDonald topquoted:
> First get a PCMCIA NIC that's compatible with the the distro you want
> to use.
> and/or Get a PCMCIA SCSI card and external SCSI CDROM.
>
> The later may be a bit more expensive but it will be easier to do the
> install. You will want a NIC any way.

The PCMCIA SCSI card and drive aren't necessary.  You can do the
install the same way I installed Debian on my 386 laptop (which
still plays a mean game of tetris)--boot with one of the single-
floppy distros (I used tomsrtbt), transfer the install files to
your HDD, and then when you're starting your install, just point
the installer at the image on the HDD instead of the CDROM.
Continue your install from there as usual.

I think fully supported PCMCIA NICs are going for under $20 these
days, so no big deal there.  For my install, I had to transfer the
install images over a SLIP line.  In driving snow, uphill both ways!
PCMCIA?  **LUXURY**!

--
trammell at el-swifto.com  9EC7 BC6D E688 A184 9F58  FD4C 2C12 CC14 8ABA 36F5
twin Cities Linux Users Group (TCLUG)      Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota