First get a PCMCIA NIC that's compatible with the the distro you want to
use.
and/or
Get a PCMCIA SCSI card and external SCSI CDROM.

The later may be a bit more expensive but it will be easier to do the
install. You will want a NIC any way.

I just installed (using floppy disks) Debian on a 486/25sx, 200 mb disk,
24 mb RAM.  26 disks to install and 1 for the boot floppy. And to think
I had a good laugh yesterday about the 100 or so blank 1.44 floppy disks
I have. 26 disks put the base install on the machine.
It is possible to do the floppy disk thing but get the PCMCIA NIC
because you will need it after the install.
I didn't even have FTP on the machine after the base installation.
Debian has "apt" that lets you install applications over the internet.
I'm working on getting "apt" pointed to the right place.

I'm having a blast in the process!  :-)  dang I like to learn!

Sam.