I have been a RedHat afficionado for about the last two years, having cut my
teeth on Slackware (a familiar story around here).  I have tried using
apt-get to upgrade systems and have been frustrated with it.  I think the
main problems arise when you have installed rpms that are not standard with
the distro and then you try to upgrade.

For this reason, I have considered trying Debian, but I am scared off (maybe
that's too strong) by the learning curve.  Perhaps I shouldn't be since I
started w/ Slack.

Eric