Agreed, to stay in business, you do need to make money somehow. And yes,
installs don't happen all that often. I guess ads are fine if they're
balanced and not too annoying (unlike the all too familiar x-10 popups
that flash and take up most of your screen, those poor people still using
800x600 res must really dislike ads). And there are ways of blending them
into a system without having them take over. I think that when people
complain about ads, most times they're complaining about the ones that are
a pain to get out of, or take up way too much of their desktop space.

It will be interesting to see how this progresses. If mandrake can use the
money to support itself better, then I say go for it. I'm sure they're
aware they don't want to turn people away, so most likely they'll go about
it in more of a user friendly sort of way.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/09/12/1315224&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=147&tid=163&tid=187&tid=98&tid=99