On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:39:27 -0500
"John J. Trammell" <trammell+tclug at el-swifto.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:53:24AM -0500, Peter Clark wrote:
> > Is there a way to specify that all files created in a certain
> > directory should belong to a certain group and be writable by that
> > group?
>
> You could:
> - turn on the setgid bit for that directory (chmod g+s mydir)
> - play around with umask (I think a value of 022 is right)
>
> 'info chmod' and 'info setgid' for details.  Maybe google
> for "chmod setgid directory linux".

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if the directory is owned by one of you, and has the group ownership of "users", then it shouldn't matter if it's only the two of you I would think.  Both of you are in the users group, and thus should be able to write within that directory.

Unless you have a cron job, other processes, or other users on the system with different groups.  But, from my initial read on this you can get by just setting it to 775 on the directory after you've given it the correct ownerships for user and group:

#chown username:groupname /directory
#chmod 775 /directory

Correct me if I'm off on it...  Been a long day, and trying to catch up on e-mail doesn't help....

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"