David Phillips wrote:
> Scot Jenkins writes:
> > seriously, most Linux installs are around 2-4 GB range _if_ you
> > install everything that comes with that distro.
>
> That's a joke, right?  /usr on my Debian box is taking up 2.5 GB, and I have
> about 1400 packages installed.  There are over 13100 available packages.

uh, no.  It all depends on what distro and how much crap you want
installed.  I know slackware 9.0 said if you installed everything it was
close to 2GB.  RH generally requires more disk space if you do a full
install because there are more packages in RH then Slack.  Debian seems
to have still more packages, and their documentation even says it
doesn't make sense to install everything because some packages conflict
with others.  I'm guessing Mandrake and SUSE are probably similar to RH.
My guestimate of required disk assumed folks were doing a near "full
workstation" class install.

FWIW, on my Debian laptop (used as a workstation):
# du -sh /usr
818M    /usr

# less the 5 header lines at the top
dpkg -l |wc -l
    529

I have mozilla and openoffice and use xfce for a lean window manager.
My policy is "just say no" to KDE, Gnome and other bloated windowing
environments, but that's just what I like.  If one choses to install
KDE and/or Gnome, one will need lots more disk.

I also have a stripped down Slackware 9.0 install that fits on a 540MB
hard disk with plenty of room to spare.  So it really depends on what
one chooses to install and what purpose one has in mind for the machine.
Every install is different.
--
scot