Josh Trutwin writes:
> As usual, the qmail documentaion is somewhat
> cryptic (to me anyway).  Does this imply finding out from Road Runner
> what their smarthost SMTP server is and putting that in smtproutes?
> Or can I somehow tell qmail that my box is the smarthost?

The qmail man pages document all the programs.  Start with qmail(7) and work
your way down from there.  qmail-control(5) documents all the control files
and tells you which program uses which ones.  For example, smtproutes is
used by qmail-remote, obviously, as qmail-remote is what sends messages to
remote systems.  So read qmail-remote(8) to learn more about smtproutes.

Add this to /var/qmail/control/smtproutes:

aol.com:smtp-server.mn.rr.com
netscape.net:smtp-server.mn.rr.com
rr.com:smtp-server.mn.rr.com

I used to use RR (before I moved to St. Paul and got stuck with Comcast) and
those worked for me.

There is lots of documentation included in /var/qmail/doc.  The PIC.* files
give a nice overview of how the different programs work together.  You might
also fine "Life with qmail" useful.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/