I'm trying to install OS Commerce php webpages and configure the db but I'm
running into problems...

1) Database is inside the firewall and the website is outside the firewall
2) Database (MySQL) is setup on a nonstandard port
3) Installs fine until after it tests the db and rerturns this error:

The configuration files do not exist, or permission levels are not set.

Please perform the following actions:
cd /webstore/oscommerce-2.2ms2/catalog/includes/
touch configure.php
chmod 706 configure.php
cd /webstore/oscommerce-2.2ms2/catalog/admin/includes/
touch configure.php
chmod 706 configure.php

I do this and it doesn't work even with 777

Can anyone give me an idea on what will fix this...

Carl