Peter Clark wrote:
> On Monday 08 September 2003 05:16 pm, Bob Tanner wrote:
>
>>>      And what better way to do so than say, "Hey, I noticed that your
>>>computer is running a horribly insecure operating system that is spamming
>>>countless numbers of people with worm-ridden filth. Would you care to
>>>hear that there is a better way?"
>>
>>IMHO, that is not a linux advocate, that's a Microsoft-basher.
>>
>>I try to convince people to try/switch to linux based on linux's strengths,
>>not Microsoft's weaknesses.
>
> 	The above was, admittedly, the sugar-free version, and not what I would
> *actually* say. I had presumed that the audience here would not need the
> usual sugar-coating. And it's no disservice to Linux to point out that the
> present operating system is deliberately insecure by design, an easy vector
> for a myriad of worms and viruses, not to mention the pluses Linux offers,
> right?

Historically speaking (and most definitely NOT trying to start some sort
of undying religion thread), some of the most effective Christian
evangelism movements (revivals) around the world were based on the
preaching of the threat of damnation, prior to (and alongside of) the
good news of salvation.

The reason is, it's hard to get someone to see the value of "medicine"
if they don't even know they are "sick". Likewise with Windows-users, if
they don't realize that they have a problem, why should they go looking
for a better solution? You'd think that the endless rash of virii,
worms, and rebooting would be enough evidence in itself to convince a
person, but often they think that this is "normal", something to be
expected from any OS, and therefore they should just put up with it.

They need to be taught that the Microsoft way is neither the right way
nor the only way, before they understand that there are superior
alternatives.

Well, that's enough preaching for me. I'm dealing with this whole issue
(replacing NT with Linux, and how to effectively convince people that
this is a superior solution) at work right now, so I've been thinking a
lot about it.

--
Dave Sherman - MCSE, MCSA, CCNA

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
   for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.