On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 09:20:39PM -0500, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> I disagree about the "long fruitless thread" thing.
>
> Do we tolerate the idea that people with the same skills we have get
> payed 1/5th what we get payed?

I can think of a few reasons:

1) High unemployment, this makes it more likely that you will be able to
find someone to work for less, with less turnover

2) Maybe their products cost roughly 1/5th less there, have you looked
up the exchange rates lately?

3) Maybe 1/5th is still a bundle there, and they're all getting rich
(in comparison to their neighbors)

>    Just because they are in India or Brazil?
> If we have a "World economy" why are the wages lower in India and Brazil?
> You need to understand that this is not about self center Americans/

Please, a world economy doesn't mean we're all using the same currency, and
that all products cost the same everywhere. Gasoline, for example, is regularly
over $2.00 on the east and west coast, while in say, Minnesota, or Texas, it's
usually around $1.30-$1.50

Sea food, on the other hand, is cheaper on the coast, and virtually unheard
of in Minnesota. (Kinda like air conditioning.. =)

> This is about "right and wrong".

If the people being employed in india/brazil/mexico/etc felt they were
being wronged, they wouldn't be begging american corporations to export jobs
to their countries.

> This is about people who own large percentages of American corporations
> and the corporations they are sending the jobs to in other countries!

Then stop bitching about how everything costs so much, and start paying
attention to what companies are parent companies of the products you buy.

Against smoking?

Stop buying the following, because they are ALL products of Altria, aka
Philip Morris. Boycotting a *single* company such as Philip Morris is insane
when you look at the diverse markets they're in.

Source: http://www.altria.com/investors/annual_report/products/products01.asp

Refreshment Beverages

    * Capr
    * Country Time