On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 01:11:18PM -0500, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> OK, now lets not get upset with labor unions after all unions represent
> workers. Believe me when I say that programmers and everyone else who
> works in I/T are labor.  We are the work force, by definition the work
> force is labor.

There are two kinds of unions:

Unions who work for the employees to help insure their safety and fair
treatment (labor such as coal mining, steel workers, railroad, etc)

Unions who work to ensure that no matter how lazy, stupid, or incompetent
their members are, they'll always have a job because if they don't, they'll
all go on strike. (Rainbow foods and highway workers fall under this category)

In an IT industry setting, I'm willing to bet it would be more of a
category 2 union, seeing how there are plenty of incompetents out there
who do nothing but leech the resources out of a company, and want protection
from being fired for incompetency.

Yes, moving phone support to $other_country is bad for the economy, but
what do you expect when the general public doesn't care enough to show
their feelings about it (by writing letters, or boycotting companies)

FYI, AT&T/Comcast cable internet support is in Quebec, because they
receive kickbacks for providing technical jobs there.

With that said, this is totally off topic for the list, and is sure to
spark a long fruitless thread.