I use SmoothWall. (no flames please)

- It's a 30 meg ISO
- supports 3 nic's (public, private, dmz)
- supports modems for dial-up
- setup on a P166 with 32 megs of ram is fine and takes about 15 minutes
- managed from web interface
- has intrusion detection (snort)
- Proxy (squid)
- VPN capabilities (FreeS/WAN)
- SSH
- Regular patches which are very easy to install.

I have it running in 8 locations and know that its running at another 4

Jim

> The only firewall I have tried on Linux is the one that you can control
> from the Mandrake Control Center. It's not well-developed enough yet so
> I'm looking for something better. I have been using ZoneAlarm on
> Windoze, since it *really* needs a firewall but I'm guessing Linux does
> things a bit differently.
>
> I searched SourceForge but as you might expect I got a lot of hits. One
> thing I think I'm seeing is that you configure iptables. I'm guessing
> that you can do this by hand or via a GUI. I also looked for a HowTo but
>  there isn't a firewall or iptables HowTo.
>
> Even though I still use dial-up (hey I don't have a job!) I think it's
> probably a good idea to set up a firewall.
>
> So, can someone recommend a Linux firewall for home/personal use? I
> would also like to know what's happening "under the hood" so if there is
>  a good, but not too detailed explanation somewhere, please let me know.
> --
> Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff

Jim Streit
Partner & Co-Founder