On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 19:29:07 -0500
Rick Meyerhoff <rick at eworld3.net> wrote:

> IPCop seems to be a Linux distro used to turn a PC into a firewall.
> What I want is to just run a firewall on the one machine that I do
> everything on. I don't think I really need to have a seperate firewall
> but maybe I'm wrong.

Well, if it's just one machine that you have directly connected to a modem then I'd learn how to do ipchains/ipfilter/masquerading depending upon your kernel.  Also look into Linux security on the www.tldp.org website's how-to.

The nice thing about having a separate machine as someone pointed out, is that it's much harder to crack into two systems than it is just one.  Also, if you have multiple systems on a home network and use dial-up as your gateway for all of them you can share the connection.  albeit very slowly, and configured as dial on demand.

I use IP Cop personally, and have tried smoothwall.  Both are very similar, but prefer IP Cop.

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"