On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 19:29, Rick Meyerhoff wrote:
> IPCop seems to be a Linux distro used to turn a PC into a firewall. What
> I want is to just run a firewall on the one machine that I do everything
> on. I don't think I really need to have a seperate firewall but maybe
> I'm wrong.

Well, that's a balance you have to strike for yourself.  Having another
machine means that it's much harder to break into your system, but it's
yet another box to administer, and you have to deal with how to get
<favorite protocol X> across your firewall.

Many people on the list have several machines on a home network, so we
often dedicate an old machine to being a firewall.  Even an aincent 386
could probably handle most broadband Internet connections, though a
machine that slow would probably be a pain to maintain.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   What's that strange orange
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   glow coming from our room?