On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 02:14:14PM -0500, Lansing, Dan wrote:
> Ok...ive been hearing about forwarding X through ssh but have not been able to get this to work
>
> I have tried the -X switch but when I type startx I get the normal text scrolling by when x starts but no x.....am I missing something? I have to ctrl+c to get a usable prompt
>
> This is what I do
> ssh -X -l root xxx.xx.xx.xxx
> get the normal ssh session but unable to start x....what am I doing wrong?

Are you logging in from one Unix machine to another one?  Or at
least from one machine running X to another one?

If so, then you don't want to start-up X inside your ssh session.
You just want to run X dependant programs.  Try typing:
  xterm &
inside your ssh session.  If an xterm doesn't pop up again try
   ssh -Xv -l root xxx.xx.xx.xxx
instead and send any error messages to the list.