Kent Schumacher wrote:
> At any rate, I'm trying to use apt-get on my RedHat system
> to update things,

Your immediate bug may simply be that you need to get the GPG
key for the repos you are adding...
(like this, but for your other repos)
rpm --import http://freshrpms.net/packages/builds/apt/RPM-GPG-KEY.freshrpms

I agree that auto-updating (*a la* apt) is the only way to fly.
I've been comparing the RPM flavor (follow on to RedHat) vs.
DEB flavor (original debian apt-get).  I happen to prefer debian
at the moment, but I shall not open the distro war here.

I'm currently running Fedora core 0.94 on another machine, but you
may want to consider 0.95 now or Fedora Core 1 / Cambridge
coming out next week:
   http://fedora.redhat.com/

I started with a RedHat 9.0 system and downloaded apt (and
a prerequisite beecrypt), then set sources.list, and then did
   apt-get -s -u dist-upgrade

Along the way I found some interesting discussions about mixing repos:
   <http://www.fedora.us/wiki/RepositoryMixingProblems>
   http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/rpm-list/2003-July/005174.html
   http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/rpm-list/2003-May/004624.html

Whether with debian (and derivatives) or RPM-derivatives-with-apt this
issue of repo mixing while keeping safe/accurate/appropriate dependencies
is, IMHO, one of the key questions with Linux at the moment.

HTH,

--Tom