Yep, exactly.

The version that gets compiled into kernel and all the modules is generated
from the Makefile.

Doing this kind of a hack can be dangerous if you're going between to
different "unpatched" kernel versions (i.e. v2.4.20 and v2.4.21) because some
of the internal symbols "might" change (even though the "shouldn't").
However, since in this case you're dealing two kernels dirved from the same
unpatched sources you should be ok.

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 04:33 pm, Perry Hoekstra wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 16:39, Ben Maas wrote:
> > Oops.  Got that switched around backwords.  <slams forehead against desk>
> >
> > OK, then what you could do is modify the Makefile in the 2.4.20-19.8
> > sources. Modify the "EXTRAVERSION" line to:
> >
> > EXTRAVERSION = -2.2
> >
> > Then compile the module.
> >
> > Since both are based on the same base kernel it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Okay,
>
> Let's walk through this like I am a five year old (which isn't far off
> the mark).  Download the source for 2.4.20-19.8 and compile the ntfs
> source against that, making a change in the Makefile so that it looks
> like a 2.4.20-2.2 module when it comes out the other end.  Correct?
>
> Perry Hoekstra

Ben Maas - Technology Architect
Open Technology Systems, LLC
eMail: bmaas at open-techsys.com