On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:07:49 -0500, Bill Layer <william.layer at comcast.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:15:40 -0500
> Johnny Fulcrum <johnnyfulcrum at mn.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> It's rebooted on me twice this morning - I did mess with my desktop
>> backgrounds - one of them was a program called worldclock - after the
>> first reboot - I got rid of that background and changed them all back to
>> plain old two color blended backgrounds...
>
> Reboot as in shutdown -r now, or as in a sudden coldstart?

sudden coldstart....

> If nothing has changed but the OS, it sounds like a driver isn't playing
> well with a piece of hardware. Any device on the PCI or ISA bus can
> more-or-less 'panic' and hit the reset line, which coldstarts the system.
>
> Video drivers & network drivers are a good place to look, assuming the
> hardware is not damaged or misconfigured.

I tried memtest86 - as someone mentioned - it seems to get stuck at test
#6:

<from memtest web site>
Test 6 [Modulo 20, ones&zeros, cached]
Using the Modulo-X algorithm should uncover errors that are not detected
by moving inversions due to cache and buffering interference with the the
algorithm. As with test one only ones and zeros are used for data patterns.
</from memtest web site>

I let it "run" for about an hour - tonight I'll let it run all night.
Maybe the test just takes a long time....

I haven't changed video/network drivers for a long time... but will double
check things...