>>> smac at visi.com 10/22/03 07:57AM >>>
>The problem IS the rootkit, it enables a crime
>to be committed.

Dead wrong.

Tools do nothing alone. Focusing on them,
instead of the criminal act of using said tools
to commit a crime does exactly what you
purport to oppose: it removes at least some
responsibility (from the criminal) for the act
committed.

The argument "He could not do what he
did if those tools were not so freely
available" makes no sense to me. The
"freely available" part allows me, the
law abiding potential victim, to look at
the tools too, to be able to recognize
them when they are used against me,
and to prepare defenses against them.

Making the tools "illegal" robs me, not a
criminal intent on using them. If he already
plans to attack my computers illegally, I
don't think acquiring or constructing an
"illegal" tool to do so will make him "think
twice".

That's my 2 cents.

Troy

P.S. - This will not stop me from crying in my
beer when someone uses a rootkit on me,
but focusing on the rootkit as "the problem"
will not make me feel any safer in the mean
time. Or afterwards, for that matter.