Along the line of looking at hardware. Look at the capcitors on the
motherboard. Most of them have an "X" in the metal on the top. If the
tops are buldging then the capacitors are fried and you are looking at
other issues if you continue to use the motherboard.

I'm not sure how many motherboards this affects, but I know for a fact
it affects IBM Intellistation EPro machines, circa manufacture 2001-2.

There was a batch of bad capacitors that hit the market, I know IBM used
them, but I'm not sure how many other manufacturers did.

Sam MacDonald wrote:
> On the hardware end look at the power supply.  A power supply thats'
> going bad will do funny things like rebooting.  A short in your power
> cable could cause real problems.  Wake on LAN is another thing to look
> at if it's enabled.  I also had a dead SparQ drive cause my machine to
> not boot on a cold start and I think it caused some reboots.
>
> If you fed a Gremlin after midnight you may want to check your kitchen :-D
>
> Remember if you had a bad power surge or lightning, and something got
> fried, home owners insurance "should" cover a new or part of a new
> computer  :-)   My mother in law got a new P4 with all the cool stuff
> after a lightning strike took out her modem and sound board.
>
> Sam.
>

> <snip>

Todd Young
7079 Dawn Ave. E.