Jay Kline wrote:
> What spam filtering do people use?

I've been using bogofilter (http://bogofilter.org) with an IMAP server
and Maildirs.  I use a procmail rule to run the mail through bogofilter
and sort it into subdirectories.  I have a set of SPAM folders as follows:

SPAM

     unverified

     verified

     undetected

     misdetected

     processed

              verified

              undetected

              misdetected

Things that bogofilter thinks is SPAM get put in the SPAM.unverfied
folder where I can look them over and make sure they actually are.  I
then move them to the SPAM.verified folder.  False positives get moved
to the SPAM.misdetected folder, false negatives to the SPAM.undetected
folder.  A cron job runs a script every ten minutes that parses through
the folders and then moves the mail down to their respective subfolders
folders of SPAM.processed.

It took about 4 months to get things working well (I didn't use somebody
elses spam archive to train it) but now it catches about 95% of it.  It
should also be said that I get about 650-700 spams a week.  If you get
more it will train quicker.

I also have the email server set up with RBL blocking.  It refuses about
5% of the spam we get.

--
The Wandering Dru <dru at druswanderings.net>
http://druswanderings.net <--- Things 'n' Such

Get nifty TCLUG merchandise at the TCLUG Store!
http://www.cafeshops.com/tclug