On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 08:07:15AM -0500, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> Woody is what I'm using.  I just can't figure out what packages will
> get me an install of X windows with Afterstep.

My bad.  I interpreted the version you were running as Potato, not
Woody.  I also made a bad assumption about dependencies on afterstep.
You don't actually need to depend upon an installed X Server instance to
run afterstep.  X11 protocol lends itself to network-based client/server
quite well.  Indeed, you do need a running instance of X in order to use
the window manager, but you do not need to have X installed on the
machine that is the server for the window manager software.

> Side note: Don't flame this because it's "My" opinion and not just
> because it's My opinion.

If you interpreted my post as flaming, I apologize.  I also implore you
to grow a slightly thicker skin.  I tend to write objective, sugar-free
posts.

> What I'm saying is about Linux and main stream computer users.  I'm
> really trying hard to learn Linux but as with everyone time is a
> premium.

Agreed.  Learning something new takes time, and Linux distributions are
attempts at minimizing those learning curves.  Some are better for
newbies than others.  Debian is not exactly newbie friendly, unless
you're using something like Knoppix or Libranet which provides a
jumpstart at the necessary packages for desktop environments.

> ... So I use older distributions because it runs faster on old the
> hardware.

This is not necessarily true.  Choose your arguments carefully here.
You seem to make broad, sweeping conclusions in one sentance within
close proximity to statements like, "I'm a newbie."

> I don't even have a CD burner because I can't afford one.  I'm not
> poor but I have other more important priorities then the latest and
> greatest hardware.

Great. You share an opinion common with many list members here.

> All I want to know, without having to do a research paper, is how to
> install "X windows and Afterstep" without all the extra goodies I
> don't need.

Unfortunately, doing research is par for the course with respect to
Linux and the various distributions.  As I said above, some
distributions are newbie friendly and others are not.  There are also
distribution-specific user email lists for help if you can't get
effective answers from TCLUG.  As always, there's the FAQ's and basic
Intro documents to any software project to reference, not to mention
Google.

> Any "advice" is very welcome, save your energy if your going to flame,
> I put flames in the bit bucket.

A "flame" is something you as a recipient of list email needs to
intrepret for yourself.  If you dislike my posts for some reason, then
killfile me.  I will take no offense in such an action.  I intend to
call you out for misstatements and inaccurate assumptions, not in the
intention to flame, but to correct.

Now, for further and appropriate advice to you.  Debian is very well
documented.  You may want to install and read the following documents
(listed in alphabetical order):

  debian-guide - Text from: Debian GNU/Linux: Guide to Installation and Usage
  dwarfs-debian-guide - Dwarf's guide to installing and using Debian GNU/Linux
  debian-reference-en - Debian system administration guide, English original
  doc-debian - Debian Project documentation, Debian FAQ and other documents
  newbiedoc - Documentation by and for newbies
  quick-reference-en - Debian system administration guide, English excerpt

Subject yourself to a little research...  It'll take you further than
you would expect.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/