On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:51:41 -0500
Todd Young <auditodd at comcast.net> wrote:

> That's ONLY true if the data presented is IRREFUTABLE evidence, such
> as 2+2=4. NOTHING that I saw in posts about Smoothwall was FIRST PARTY
>
> accounts. It was all heresay. Therefore I submit that a certain
> individual's logic is flawed because he is basing his logic NOT on
> facts, but on hersay.

I provided direct proof via the credits page I posted.

> I did NOT say "don't use IPCop", I stated that they had used a version
>
> of SmoothWall and had stripped out the developer's names, NOT
> permissable under the GPL. Therefore I personally will not use their
> software.

I challenge you to do your due dilligence. If you post something as
fact, and you are refuted, please back it up with proof. You haven't
done this yet, just a pdf that really could be anything.

I had really considered this a dead issue, but you couldn't let it go. I
have taken the time to find archives of both IPCOP 0.0.9 and SmoothWall
0.9.9 GPL sources. I untarred and grepped through for developer's names.
For SmoothWall, Richard Morrell's name is only in one file, main.c.
Richard Morrell's name was not in src/install+setup/setup/main.c for
IPCOP. I ran diff on both main.c's for each distro and it would appear
that they are different enough to be a rewrite. So, they changed Richard
Morrell's code and removed his name. Other developer's names are there
for both distros. Don't believe me, try it yourself.

Also pulled from the README of IPCOP 0.0.9 (the first release)

"This is the first version of IPCop.  It is entirely based on
Smoothwall,
but the distribution is actually built from source.  This distribution
is
MAINLY untested!!!  Use it on your own risk."

> I now consider this matter closed and will not respond to any more
> negative posts about me. Certain individuals can rant and rave about
> how much of a "troll" I am and I really don't care any more, because
> as I stated before, their opinions no longer hold any value.

Well, it might do you good to admit that we are all wrong sometimes. I
personally use IPCOP and I knew that your inflammatory and accusatory
statements were incorrect. But through all of this, you haven't bothered
to back anything up with proof.

As this is not a negative post about you, you are most certainly free to
respond. After all we all have our opinions.

--
               -Kevin Hinze

rudie at rudie.net     |  rudie at sihope.com
hinz0047 at tc.umn.edu |  http://rudie.net

Democracy: two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch
Liberty: a well armed sheep expressing his rights.