Hi-

Need a push in the right direction here:

I have a neighbor who'd be up to pitching in for wireless gear so that he
can use my cable modem connection.  He's an older gent, who doesn't yet
have a computer nor a connection.  He just got a new job and told me he
needs to buy a computer to "connect to the mainframe" at work, get email
and open office docs.  I have a 400 Mhz Pent for him and can load it with
the apporpriate software... should be enough power for what he needs.

For the connection though, we thought it would be keen if we could both
use my cable connection - over a wireless network.  There's one house
inbetween our houses, but I'm up on a hill and have clear view to his roof.

I assume a wireless connection be done here - but I may need some
boosters/antenna. (?)

Security -  I have a old 486 firewall (IPCOP - two nics and can add more
if need be) and a residental gateway (gateway is basically a hub now that
the 486 is in place!) between my computers and the WAN connection - I
think I'd want to dangle the Wireeless access point off the firewall in
it's own "zone" (on it's own NIC). (?)

I'd want to protect him (via firewalling) too - but not want the wireless
network to "see" my current LAN.

I do have some laptops in house - it'd be nice to use the wireless network
myself - so I may want/need to get from the wireless to my LAN.

I've been googling - and there's lots of google out there on the subject.
Anyone know of a doc or a project that has had similar goals?
Hardware - I've searched through the TC wireless archives and google -
there's lots of discussion on hardware - I'm a bit overwhelmed!