I remember running into this on a Red Hat box a while back.  I added the
user from the command line, but the account was disabled after one day.
I fixed it by running the graphical redhat-config-users tool.  on the
account settings tab for the account, you can disable the experation
date (witch was always set to tomorrow).  Sorry I don't know how to do
this from the shell though.  But this may help to google in the right
direction...

Chris Frederick