Josh Trutwin writes:
> A 1U rack mounted server with 500 MB to 1GB memory, 80 or more GB
> disk, Network, CDROM, Video out (no serial cable installs please!)
> and a license that allows me to install/configure any version of
> linux that I want to on it.

If you think you need a license to install software on computer hardware
that you OWN, then you are seriously misinformed.  If you own the hardware,
you can do whatever you want with it.  Leased hardware might be a different
issue, depending on your contract.

In fact, shrink-wrap or click-through licenses for software you purchase in
a store are also invalid, but that's a different topic.

> I want full control over the software (apache/mysql/php/qmail/etc)
> and I have my own "control panel" so he can easily adminster new
> domains.

Webmin seems to be popular.  There are also a number of cheap integrated
control panels available.  Several products have their own web interface.
And, alternatively, you could roll your own.

qmail:

http://www.vmailmgr.org/
http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail.html

MyDNS:

http://mydns.bboy.net/  (admin.php included)

MySQL:

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

Apache doesn't have a good control panel, unfortunately, but there is more
to setting up a website than simply adding it to the web server.  My
suggestion is to write a three line shell script that creates the website
directory, chowns it to the proper user, then creates a symlink for Apache.

You can use Apache's mass virtual hosting feature and never have to touch
the Apache config when creating sites:

VirtualDocumentRoot /etc/sites/%0/

You would then place symlinks in /etc/sites that are the hostnames of the
sites.  For example:

/etc/sites/www.example.com -> /home/bob/web/www.example.com

> Any suggestions on good hardware that will do the trick?

We buy a lot of our hardware at mwave.com.  They have good prices, good
service and a decent selection.  You can order hardware assembled and tested
from them for an extra fee.

We use a number of the SuperMicro SC811 cases.  It is a good cheap 1U case.
Stay away from hot processors in a 1U (or any rackmount case, really).  Also
be aware of what fits and what doesn't.  1Us are tiny.  Don't expect to use
any expansion cards.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/