IMHO, the reason most of these people don't use Linux is because they
don't know how.  And the argument that we shouldn't teach them because
they don't know how is a bit circular.

We've used Linux for several years at Heritage Christian Academy and they
have picked it up pretty well.  It's based on this experience that we
hoped we could share with the rest of the community.

It is true, that there is a learning curve for Linux.  There is a curve
to setting up an NT server as well.  That curve is becoming much faster
for Linux, and much slower for Windows.  I think Linux is becoming much
more of an attractive option to these cost conscious organizations.

--- Ryan Ware <rware at interplastic.com> wrote:
> Not to be a wet blanket, but most of those people being sucked into
> support
> roles are sucked into a mostly or completely Microsoft environment.
> Small
> businesses typically have not been your *nix users for a number of
> reasons.
> Originally Unix was costly, Microsoft was cheaper.  Microsoft was
> easier to
> use.  Only recently has there been desktop ready for the average user a
> cheap Unix variant (Linux).  You'd be better off helping them with
> their
> Windows skills and teaching them how about the possibility of saving
> some
> dough by using Open Office instead of office, on Windows.  Then later
> show
> them some of the other things Open Source and Linux have going for them
> that
> might allow them to save more money.
>
> One thing to consider too.  How successful in these businesses will a
> "switch" campaign be received or even useful to them if they already
> have
> say an NT environment in place with exchange that runs acceptably, that
> they
> are comfortable with and don't need to upgrade?
>
> Your class might be better for people that don't have much invested in
> an
> existing environment.  I don't see OS/Linux as a natural fit for these
> small
> companies unless they just hire their adminning out, as a lot of them
> won't
> have full time "IT" guys anyway.  The person likely to be stuck in this
> support role is looking for the easiest way out, not necessarily the
> most
> technically superior because he has "real" job duties too besides
> keeping
> the computers running.
>
> Ryan

=====
---
Wayne Johnson,             | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003             | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis